Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
Gordon Conn practices primarily in bankruptcy and business litigation, and in 1998 he was board-certified in business bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification. He was counsel of record for Petitioners in Norwest Bank Worthington v. Ahlers, 485 U.S. 197 (1988), and argued and won that case in the United States Supreme Court. In bankruptcy matters, he represents secured creditors, committees, trustees, and unsecured creditors, and has acted as liquidating agent. In business litigation, he has represented clients in a wide variety of cases, including securities, trade regulation, transportation, insurance, banking, and commercial transactions.
Gordon is an honors graduate of the University of Michigan Law School where he was Article and Book Review Editor of the Michigan Law Review. After graduation, he served as law clerk to the Chief Justice of the Minnesota Supreme Court. Prior to 1999, Gordon had been a partner in the Business Litigation and Banking/Commercial practice groups of Faegre & Benson, LLP.
- State and Federal Courts in Minnesota
- United States Courts of Appeal, Eighth Circuit and Third Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- B.A., cum laude, Macalaster College, 1967
- J.D., cum laude, University of Michigan Law School, 1970
- Martindale-Hubbell peer-rated “AV”
- Named “Superlawyer” in Minnesota Law & Politics, 2000-2007
- “Fraudulent Transfers—Some Issues and Ideas,” Cedar Rapids, Iowa 2013.
- “Some Screwball Preference Defenses, and Some Odd Claims, Too,” Mason City, Iowa 2012.
- “Fraudulent Transfers and Conveyances,” Minnesota CLE Webinar 2012.
- “Bankruptcy Litigation—Limitations Periods and Tricks for Extension; Amendments, Relation Back; Service of Process Problems, and Other Concerns, Dubuque, Iowa 2011.
- “Preference and Fraudulent Transfer Litigation After Iqbal v. Ashcroft,” Iowa City, Iowa, 2010.
- “Fraudulent Transfers And Other Things To Avoid–Leveraged Buyouts, Stock Redemptions, and Ponzi Claw-Backs,” Dubuque, Iowa 2009.
- “Bankruptcy Venue Under BAPCPA,” Cedar Rapids, Iowa 2008.
- “Deepening Insolvency in Minnesota: Christians v. Grant Thornton LLP,” Minnesota State Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2007.
- “Fee Disgorgement,” Dubuque, Iowa 2006.
- “Avoidance Actions After Bankruptcy Reform,” Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 2005.
- “Avoidance Issues: Some Outer Reaches,” Advanced Bankruptcy Procedures Seminar, Iowa City, Iowa, 2003.
- “Introduction to Collection Law in Minnesota,” Minneapolis, Minnesota, 2003.
- “Preferences and Fraudulent Transfers,” 2002 Bankruptcy Institute, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2002.
- “Recent Developments in Preference Litigation,” 2001 Bankruptcy Institute, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2001.
- “Working Out the Work-out: The Trustee’s Challenge,” Commercial Practice Institute 2001, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2001.
- “Things to Avoid,” Winter Bankruptcy Workshop, Las Vegas, Nevada 2001.
- “Collection Law in Minnesota,” Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1999.
- “Avoidance of Transfers and Liens, Preservation and Benefits Under Section 551,” Ames, Iowa 1999.
- “Ethical Considerations in Representation,” Winter Bankruptcy Workshop, Las Vegas, Nevada 1999.
- “Fraudulent Transfers and Insider Preferences – Application of Non-bankruptcy Law,” Advanced Bankruptcy Procedures Seminar, Dubuque, Iowa, 1998.
- “Set-off Issues in Bankruptcy: A Simple Concept with Some Difficult Problems,” Dubuque, Iowa, 1998.
- “Sovereign Immunity and the Bankruptcy Code: Government is Still Above the Law, Sometimes,” Waterloo, Iowa, 1997.
- “Managing ERISA Risk: The Problem of the Bankrupt Participant,” Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1997.
- “ERISA Issues in Individual Bankruptcy—When Pension Assets are Property of the Estate After All,” Sioux City, Iowa 1996.
- “Lien Stripping in Chapter 13: Rash, Nobelman, and Questions.” 1996.
- “Dealing With the Litigation-Driven Bankruptcy Case,” Cedar Rapids, Iowa, 1995.
United States Supreme Court
- Norwest Bank Worthington v. Ahlers, 485 U.S. 197 (1988)
United States Court of Appeals
- United States v. Continental Airlines, 134 F. 3d 536 (3rd Cir.), cert. denied 119 S. Ct. 336 (1998)
- Norwest Bank Nebraska v. Tveten, 848 F. 2d 871 (8th Cir. 1988)
- Panuska v. Johnson, 880 F. 2d 78 (8th Cir. 1989)
- Stoebner v. Parry, Murray, Ward & Moxley, 91 F. 3d 1091 (8th Cir. 1996)
- Stoebner v. Lingenfelter, 115 F.3d 576 (8th Cir. 1997)
- Barry & Sewall Industrial Supply Co. v. Metal-Prep of Houston, Inc., 912 F. 2d 252 (8th Cir. 1990)
- Minneapolis, Northfield & Southern Railway v. Interstate Commerce Commission, 707 F. 2d 984 (8th Cir. 1983)
United States District and Bankruptcy Courts
- Fokkena v. Fredrikson & Byron, P.A et al., (In re Hyman Freightways, Inc.), 2006 WL 3757972 (D. Minn. 2006)
- John R. Stoebner, Trustee, v. Federal Trade Commission, et al., 1997 U.S. Dist.LEXIS 4639 (D. Minn. 1997)
- In re T. G. Morgan, Inc., 175 B.R. 702 (Bankr., D. Minn. 1994)
- In re Fulda Independent Co-op 130 B.R. 967 (Bankr., D. Minn. 1991)
- In re Johnson, 124 B.R. 290 (Bankr., D. Minn. 1991)
State Appellate Courts
- Christians v. Grant Thornton, LLP, 733 NW 2d 803 (Minn. App. 2007)
- 430 Kickernick Associates v. Lacey, LaMaster et al., 1997 WL 228973 (Minn. App. 1997)
- In re Tveten, 402 N.W. 2d 551 (Minn. 1987)
- State by Spannaus v. Hopf, 323 N.W. 2d 476 (1982)
- In re T. G. Morgan, Inc., 92-40578 (D. Minn. 1992- 2009)
- Call 4 Wireless LLC, 98-43006 (D. Minn. 1998 – 2006)
- Technimar Industries, Inc. 98-44998 (D. Minn. 1998 – 2009)
- Excelsior-Henderson Motorcycle Manufacturing Company,99-46679 (D. Minn.1999-2001) (Liquidating Agent)
- International Beauty Network, Inc., 00-33612 (D. Minn. 2000-2007)
- Lightdog.com, Inc, 00-43556 (D. Minn. 2000-2007)
- Watt/Peterson, Inc. 01-44137 (D. Minn. 2001-2009)
- Cimarron Printing, Inc. 01-44479 (D. Minn.2001-2009)
- Victor Plastics, Inc., 08-40171 (D. Minn. 2008 – 2014)
- Seasonal Concepts, Inc., 07-43618 (D. Minn. 2007 – 2015)
- International Rarities, Inc., 11-45512 (D. Minn. 2011 – 2016)
- Faegre & Benson LLP, partner 1978-1999
- Kalina Wills Gisvold & Clark, P.L.L.P., partner 1999-2016
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Paws for People (a service-dog organization) – Director, 1998-2000
- Pomme de Terre Lake Association—President, 1999
- Land of Lakes Choirboys—Vice President, Board of Directors, 2008 – 2011
- Torske Klubben, Norwegian Luncheon Club, 1990 – 2019